Harriot College Alumni Profile: Jonathan “Jon” Kornegay

ECU “40 Under Forty” Leadership Recipient

Dr. Jonathan “Jon” Kornegay, ECU Merit Scholar (‘00); Biology (BS, ‘04); Medicine (MD, ‘08); and Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency (‘12) alumnus, who lives in his hometown of Calypso, NC, is one of ECU’s 2022 “40 Under Forty” Leadership Awardees.

“It’s a great honor to be selected to this group,” he said.

Kornegay’s #HarriotCollegeMajor is helping him #MakeADifference as director and vice-chief of staff for Vidant Duplin Hospital, and medical director for Duplin County EMS. He is a full-time clinical physician, taking care of children and adult patients once they are admitted to the hospital. In addition, he leads and oversees hospital providers, and serves in several other leadership and administrative roles.

“I love the autonomy and challenges of practicing medicine in an underserved area. It’s extremely rewarding to see the impacts our group has had on the local community over the past several years. There’s also instant gratification taking care of someone very sick and seeing him or her leave the hospital with their family a few days later,” Kornegay said. “It’s also a pleasure to work with our current staff, both in the hospital and in EMS. Their resiliency during the pandemic has been inspiring. They make me strive to be a better physician.”

During his time as a student, Kornegay said ECU and Harriot College provided him with the fundamental knowledge and education he needed to succeed in medical school and residency.

“I enjoyed my time as an undergrad and learned from some great professors, including Dr. Paul Hager, Dr. Carol Goodwillie, Dr. Gerhard Kalmus, Dr. Cindy Putnum-Evans, Dr. Jefferson Shinpaugh, Dr. James Leroy Smith, and Dr. Michael Bassman,” he said.

Kornegay shared a little-known fact that while in Greenville, he loved playing intramural sports with his brothers and friends, something he did the full 12 years he lived here.

“It was a way to stay active and a great form of competition,” he said. “In my free time, I also enjoy organic gardening and spending time with my wife (also an ECU graduate) and three children.”

Stay Connected