Harriot College prepares you with the knowledge, skills, and values you need to succeed in a global society. As a student, you have the opportunity to take various foreign languages and study abroad for a semester, a year, or during a summer program. Our students have traveled to and studied in various cities throughout more than 24 countries and islands, within all six populated continents around the globe, including Costa Rica, Bali, Brazil, England, Ireland, Tuscany, Spain, South Africa, China, and Japan, among others.
More than two dozen Harriot College faculty participate in faculty-led study abroad experiences, and Harriot College is committed to making your study abroad experience as affordable as possible. This is why we have partnered with the ECU Office of Global Affairs to offer you scholarships for study abroad.
The deadlines, many of which are mid-October, are for spring or summer study abroad programs. A second call for summer and fall semester study abroad programs will be made in November.
Attached, is an example of just a few of the exciting Harriot College-sponsored study abroad programs from the spring and summer of 2022. 2022 Harriot College Spring_Summer Study Abroad Programs
Apply for Study Abroad Scholarships
Apply for study abroad scholarship by first submitting your general application via ECUAward and then click and apply for any of the listed scholarships.
Additional study abroad scholarships may be found through the Pirates Abroad website.
For students receiving financial aid, these scholarships may be used, in addition to your financial aid funds, to fund study abroad expenses.
Examples of ECU Study Abroad Scholarships
Open to ALL ECU Students
- Eugene E. Ryan Memorial Scholarship (preference to study abroad at University of Ferrara in Italy during spring semester)
- Thomas W. Rivers Foreign Exchange Scholarship
- Warren Scholarship
Open to students involved in the Dr. Jesse R. Peel LGBTQ Center
- The Peel LGBTQ Center Dream Big Study Abroad Scholarship
Open to all Harriot College majors
- Mullen Scholarship
- Wooten Scholarship
- Bedford Scholarship
Open to Harriot College majors from Craven, Jones, or Pamlico Counties
- Harold H. Bate Study Abroad Scholarship
Open to Harriot College majors on a study abroad program to India focusing on religions of India
- International India Studies Scholarship
Open to specific Harriot College majors/minors
- Anthropology major – Bort Scholarship
- Biology major – Slate Scholarship
- English major – Price Scholarship
- French major or minor – French Priority Fund Scholarship
- Geography, Planning, and Environment major – Cramer Scholarship
- German major or minor – German Studies Endowed Scholarship Fund