Harriot College Committee on Resource Review
Purpose of the Committee
The purpose of the Harriot College Committee on Resource Review is to provide a thorough review and discussion of Harriot College resources and provide opportunities for faculty to provide ideas and strategies for the budget reduction model and future resource usage.
Description of the Committee
Dr. Allison Danell, Dean of the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences, invites full-time faculty members (fixed-term, tenure-track, and tenured) to indicate their interest in being selected to serve on the Harriot College Committee on Resource Review. The committee will be led by Associate Dean for Resource Management, Mr. Todd Berry, and be comprised of nine members (drawn from the list of volunteers) representing a wide variety of disciplines and perspectives in Harriot College.
With more than 450 full-time faculty and staff, and a total budget of approximately $44M, of which personnel expenses make up slightly more than 85% of the total, Harriot College is the largest academic unit within the Division of Academic Affairs. Due to enrollment decreases, the university faces a potential budget reduction for AY 2022-23 and the colleges are tasked with generating 3% reduction models to prepare for the prospective funding loss. This committee provides Harriot College faculty the opportunity to gain a fuller understanding of college resources and priorities and to offer feedback to the dean’s office on ideas and strategies for both generating the 3% reduction model and future resource allocations. Working on the committee requires discretion, professionalism, and the ability to work in a constructive and deliberate manner with sensitive information.
The deadline for volunteering is November 1, 2021, and work will begin shortly thereafter, with the goal of reaching most objectives listed below before February 1, 2022.
- Understand past resource allocations and budget reductions
- Survey current Harriot College resource pools
- Engage with other campus units and bodies, as appropriate, in a discussion of university and unit resource strategic planning
- Analyze unit productivity matrix
- Review college and unit strategic plans and updates
- Provide feedback to share with the Harriot College Dean on strategies for generating a model 3% budget reduction
- Advise the Harriot College Dean on strategic, mission-driven approaches for future targeted resource allocations
- Cheryl Dudasik-Wiggs, teaching assistant professor, English
- Adriana Heimann Rios, associate professor, Geological Sciences
- Nathan Hudson, assistant professor, Physics
- Donna Kain, associate professor, English
- Nick Rupp, professor, Economics
- Ryan Schacht, assistant professor, Anthropology
- Olga Smirnova, associate professor, Political Science
- David Smith, associate professor, Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Peng Xiao, associate professor, Mathematics
- Recommendations for Resource Allocation – March 4, 2022
- Initial Recommendation Report: Addressing Potential 3% Budget Cut – January 11, 2022
No volunteers are being requested at this time, as the committee has been charged as of November 16, 2021.