Harriot College Alumni Profile: Leah Flint

ALUMNA GIVES BACK
University Studies Program Alumna is Proud to Mentor Current Students

East Carolina University alumna Leah Flint is proud to give back to the program that made such an impact in her life. In 2019, Flint received her Bachelor of Science degree in university studies, housed in the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences, before completing a Master of Arts in higher education administration at Stony Brook University in 2021.

Now, Flint is senior director of academic advising at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida. She serves the College of Aviation and leads a team of 29 advisors who focus on programs that include aeronautics, aviation maintenance, safety management and unmanned systems.

In addition, Flint is serving as a practicum mentor for ECU’s university studies program and said she is honored to share her experiences with others.

Flint was out of state when she decided to continue her pursuit of a degree in education. ECU’s university studies program allowed her to transfer previously earned credits to complete her degree. She said if not for this program, she would have had to have transferred to another university.

“As a military spouse, adult learner and transfer student, the university studies program was the sole reason I was able to complete my degree,” said Flint, who has also praised the program’s flexibility. “The program allowed me to find my footing and my passion, while also allowing me the space to accommodate my personal life. University studies allows a student to develop and cultivate the learning experience they want.”

The ECU graduates in Leah Flint’s family include, from left, Flint’s mom, Susan Myrick (’02, business administration); her cousin, Matt Jones (’07, construction management); Flint (’19, university studies); and her cousin, Rachel Gudd (’21, university studies). (Contributed photos)

Due to her positive experiences through the program, Flint has chosen to help others.

“I really wanted to give back to ECU and current students because I was given so much,” Flint said. “I was able to pursue my dreams and goals because ECU and the university studies program allowed me the space to be me and develop my own path. Every student should be afforded that opportunity, and if I can spare some of my time to support a current student in reaching those same goals, why shouldn’t I?”

Knowing what is needed to complete a degree in university studies allows Flint to mentor university studies student Jessica Seymour-Alsina through the program’s practicum course. Seymour-Alsina is working toward a university studies degree and is researching how service animals benefit veterans.

“I understand the assignments students need to complete. I help brainstorm ideas for their capstone, provide support, advice and hold them accountable,” said Flint. “I am ensuring they are able to have that culminating experience within the program.”

Flint said she hopes to continue to coordinate her talents with the university and assist in building the Pirate community on the coast.

Any alumni interested in giving back to ECU’s university studies program, whether by supporting the program’s scholarship or serving as a mentor to a current student, can contact Dr. Amy Shannon, director of the university studies program, at 252-737-5062 or by email at shannona@ecu.edu.

Stay Connected